Watch past St. Cecilia Music Guild events
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Tuesday, September 8, 2020
Dear Friends of St. Cecilia Music Guild,
We write to you with warm regards at the beginning of St. Cecilia Music Guild’s 2020–21 season marking our 5th anniversary. The end of our previous season and the beginning of this one will of course be impacted by the ongoing public health pandemic. Now, more than ever, the glimpses of beauty provided by music is balm for our souls in a world fraught with sometimes overwhelming challenges. Here at St. Peter’s Church we have been working diligently these past months to care for our neighbors and create beauty.
As many will be aware, St. Peter’s Church is currently engaged in phase 1 of its Open Door Project capital campaign. Phase 1 of the project is focused on our 1855 church building providing additional space for music ministry, restrooms on the first floor, better handicapped accessibility, and the installation of a high-definition video broadcasting system. A new stained glass window depicting St. Cecilia, given in memory of longtime choir member, Richard Freeman, will adorn the chancel. Construction is anticipated to conclude within the month. St. Cecilia Music Guild is excited about the possibilities afforded by the Open Door Project including the ability to live stream concerts in high definition.
Normally at the end of August friends of St. Cecilia Music Guild would have received our full season brochure. Amid uncertainty of the next phase of government guidance and its timing, we have chosen a more flexible scheme of concerts programmed and announced closer to the actual date. We feel this option allows us to better respond to an ever-changing landscape of scientific research and public health guidance.
We hope to offer a few webcast concerts this fall which will announced on this webpage as they are scheduled. We cordially invite you to join us for our annual service of Advent Lessons and Carols on Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. broadcast on YouTube and Facebook. We appreciate your continued support of St. Cecilia Music Guild. Donations may be made using the secure portal [select fund: St. Cecilia Guild.] You and your families continue to be in our prayers, and we ask you to keep ours in yours.
The Standing Committee of St. Cecilia Music Guild
Michael Alushin Kelley Mallon, Parish Administrator
Pat Casadei Fr. Jeffrey Ross, Rector
Joe DiSalvo Sue Potts, Senior Warden
Bonny Mears T.J. Thomas, Minister of Music
Sign up here to join the St. Cecilia Guild mailing list.
- Graduating seniors from a high school in Sussex County, Delaware accepted to major in a collegiate music program may apply.
- The $1,000 scholarship is non-renewable and will be paid directly to the winner upon award.
- Before applying students should write/gather the following supporting materials 1) Essay detailing the applicant’s reason for selecting this major and goals for their career, 2) acceptance letter from college or university, 3) video or audio recording of a recent solo performance by the student
- When the above materials have been procured students should apply online at: Application Form
- Applications must be followed by the endorsement of the student’s high school music teacher. A simple online form for the teacher is available at: Teacher Endorsement Form
- The deadline for applications complete with supporting materials and teacher endorsement is May 1, 2021. All applicants will be notified of the committee’s decision by May 7.
- Questions? Please contact T.J. Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-645-8479.